New Things/ Morocco/ Harira!

Beyond making couscous, I don't know if I've ever cooked anything explicitly Moroccan before. I have been meaning to make a Tagine ...

Beyond making couscous, I don't know if I've ever cooked anything explicitly Moroccan before. I have been meaning to make a Tagine for some time, maybe the one from Vegan Eats World, but have yet to! I had also yet to make this soup, from Isa Does It. It's called Harira, and it's a Moroccan soup served during Ramadan, and it has chickpeas, lentils and noodles, with a spiced tomato base. Eggplant is standing in for the meatiness and thickness, and works beautifully with all the vegetable ingredients. I did mash the eggplant a bit with the back of my spoon so it would really disintegrate into the soup. The spices included cinnamon, paprika and chile flakes, and it's garnished with some fresh cilantro and mint! This soup was delicious the night of, but it was even better in the next few days as it got to sit and the flavors melded. 


After a while, the noodles sort of drank all the broth, but I didn't mind eating it that way, since I'm a noodle girl at heart. I would definitely make this again, and plan to eat it all week, as it makes a ton.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. Great spices in there! I really love it when noodles soak up the broth, it seems like a heartier meal somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely was better the next day! So I think the flavors like tripled!

      Delete
  2. This is one of my favorite soups! I think it is mostly because it uses up any eggplant I get from my CSA that I don't actually want to eat. XD

    ReplyDelete