Let the Pregaming Begin

Well Hey Everybody. I hope everyone has been enjoying the remaining few weeks of winter, had a nice Valentines Day, and have been rolling a...

Well Hey Everybody. I hope everyone has been enjoying the remaining few weeks of winter, had a nice Valentines Day, and have been rolling around in a bed of cash you got from your tax returns. I've been doing most of the listed activities, but also much cupcake baking and selling this month, as it was the holiday practically invented for me to sell red velvet cupcakes to everyone I ever met. So since I've been doing my cupcake thang so much lately, I haven't set out to create many new recipes to share with you all, but I figured with St. Patricks Day but a month away, I can let some recipes trickle out from my vault full of Irish Food Recipes to get the Irish juices flowing up until the big day. 


Irish Soda Bread is a beloved staple of my family's. Growing up, we would make this many times throughout the year, not only in March-- but yes, lots of times in the month of March. Today I got all crafty and decided to make muffins out of the soda bread batter. Just as you'd expect, the muffins are crafty-- and just my type. 


They are sweet, but have a tang from some caraway seeds, cause I really dig that rye crunch. But if you don't, just leave them out. I always use dark and gold raisins in my soda bread. You don't have to. Your muffins just won't kick as much ass. That's all.


Irish Soda Bread Muffins

2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
1/2 cup dark raisins
1/2 cup golden raisins


Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
Spray a muffin tin with canola oil spray.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt and caraway seeds. 
In a large measuring cup, mix together the almond milk, vinegar, oil, and vanilla. 
Make a well the the middle of the bowl with flour mixture and pour in the almond milk mixture. 
Using a wooden spoon or whisk, mix to incorporate the wet ingredients into the dry until no large lumps remain. 
Mix only until combined. 
Using a spring-loaded ice cream scoop, scoop the mixture into the greased muffin tin.
Bake about 22 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean, or the top of the muffin only slightly gives when pushed, or feels firm.
Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool.

You Might Also Like

0 comments