Swiss Chocolate Awesome

I've inherited my love of pie from my mom. Pie is some good stuff. Whether it be fruit pie, chocolate pie, cream pie, ice cream pie, or...

I've inherited my love of pie from my mom. Pie is some good stuff. Whether it be fruit pie, chocolate pie, cream pie, ice cream pie, or even pot pie, I'm into it. However, this pie is inspired by an ice cream rather than another pie. My mom's favorite ice cream sundae was always Swiss chocolate almond. And really, what's not to love? Chocolate, almond, cherries, with whipped cream and ice cream? I could take a bath in that.


So in honor of my mom, I created a Swiss Chocolate Almond Pie. A boozy smooth chocolate filling in a chocolate cookie crust, drizzled with an espresso sauce and topped with boozy cherries. A pie that will most definitely make all your wildest dreams come true-- that is, as long as they have to do with chocolate and pie. 


Yup, everything checks out. Tastes good. Just had to make sure. 

Swiss Chocolate Almond Pie:

1 chocolate cookie crust, prepared or homemade 
*For gluten-free variation, make it with gluten-free vegan chocolate cookies like mi-del.

Filling
1 package silken tofu
1/3 cup amaretto or almond liqueur
1 teaspoon almond extract
2-3 tablespoons agave nectar
2 cups melted vegan chocolate chips

Espresso sauce
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1/4 teaspoon coffee extract
3 tablespoons sugar

Boozy Cherries
1 cup maraschino cherries in liquid
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 tablespoon agave
1/4 cup kirsch, cherry brandy

Prepare chocolate cookie crust, bake and cool. 
To make filling, puree all ingredients in a blender until very smooth, scraping down the sides for the win. Pour filling into crust and smooth using an icing spatula or spoon. Chill for 3 hours or overnight.
Make espresso sauce by mixing 2 tablespoons of the unsweetened almond milk with the cornstarch with a whisk. Set aside. Combine the remaining almond milk, espresso powder, coffee extract and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to boil, stirring with whisk. Reduce to simmer and stir in cornstarch mixture. Allow mixture to thicken for 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and cool.
In a saucepan, combine cherries, agave and brandy. Bring to boil. Mix together cornstarch and almond milk, and stir into cherry mixture. Reduce to simmer until you have a thick and syrupy consistency. 
Let mixture cool.
I like to put my espresso sauce in a squirt bottle and make a zigzag on top of my pie with it, but you could just drizzle some on with a spoon. Now spoon the cherry mixture around the edges of the pie. 
Serve right away or refrigerate until serving. 



You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Swiss chocolate awesome? Swiss chocolate bookmarked!

    Seriously, this sounds dreamy. I will have to make it for a potluck or something since my family is full of cherry haters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm sure another berry would work if you think it would please the haters. Unless you don't want to please them :)

      Delete
  2. your parents and i (our parents) discussed how delicious this looks during our reunion lol miss you!

    ReplyDelete