Pasta California

Pasta California and I have been through it all together. This dish has morphed so many times it already has its own animorph series. Inspi...

Pasta California and I have been through it all together. This dish has morphed so many times it already has its own animorph series. Inspired by a dish my mom used to order when I was a kid when we went out to our go-to restaurant, I first made this dish under the Italian influence. By the 15th time I made it, it was basically a noodle bowl with avocado. The sauce became a broth, and the linguini became capellini or sometimes vermicelli rice noodles. It's really cool how dishes grow with you, and you can see how they change as you change. I'd like to say this dish represents me, but I can't think of a crafty or flattering way to tell you how some noodles in a broth with a bushel of produce piled on top of it is "me on a plate." 

I like to make this super spicy. There's so many cool and refreshing parts to this dish that the spiciness is what ties it all together for me. My favorite way to eat it is to twirl up noodles with some toppings and then after that bite, take a sip of the broth with either a big spoon or... not.


Pasta California

*For gluten-free variation, use vermicelli rice noodles, shirataki, or yam noodles

1 lb angelhair pasta
4 tomatoes, diced
15 leaves fresh basil, chiffonade
5 cups veggie broth, homemade is best
1-2 teaspoons chilli flakes
2 teaspoons olive oil
5 cloves garlic, sliced
2 shallots, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1-2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 avocado, diced

Put a large pot of water on to boil for pasta.
In a large saucepot heat broth over medium heat and add chili flakes, oregano, thyme,bay leaf, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Whisk together and bring to a simmer. Cover.
Your water should be boiling by now, so add the pasta.
In a heavy bottomed sautee pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots to pan and sautee about 3 minutes until lightly browned and soft. Add garlic and sautee about 1 minute, until fragrant. Turn off the heat.
Using long-handled tongs, remove pasta in batches from water and into the pan with the shallots, tossing everything together. Add 1-2 ladlefuls of broth and toss into the pasta.
I use large soup bowls to serve this so I can ladle a whole bunch of broth into the bowls then portion how much pasta I want directly into the bowls with the broth. Garnish with a good handful of tomatoes, basil, and diced avocado. Serve with a large spoon and chopsticks. mmm.

You Might Also Like

0 comments