Chocolate Pumpkin Pie with Maple Glaze

Everybody's had pumpkin pie by now. If I post a recipe for pumpkin pie, you'll probably be like, "Cool. Next." and I don&...

Everybody's had pumpkin pie by now. If I post a recipe for pumpkin pie, you'll probably be like, "Cool. Next." and I don't blame you. Unless you have the prettiest picture of all time up on your blog of a plain old pumpkin pie, I'm probably not even going to stick around to read the whole recipe through. So I decided, this year, that I'm going all halloween on you and dressing up my pie. This is your average pumpkin pie -- disguised as a chocolate pie!


I couldn't decide if i wanted to slice it and take a pretty picture of the slice, but I opted not to, because I thought that the pools of icing on the pie looked really pretty and delicious. Once I sliced it, well, you definitely would not get the full experience. 


I really need a camera, huh? I don't even have an iphone. So the forecast for me getting a camera to take nice food photos is not really looking good. You can just imagine how silky and deliciously good this looked and tasted in real life. Because IRL, this rocked the house.




Chocolate Pumpkin Pie with Maple Glaze

1/2 recipe for pie crust

1 15 oz can pumpkin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 ripe banana
1/4 cup canola oil
1 12 oz bag vegan chocolate chips
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon maple extract
1/4 teaspoon chocolate extract
1/4 cup kaluha

3/4 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon kaluha

fresh grated nutmeg, garnish

Melt chocolate chips over the stovetop or in the microwave.
Puree all the filling ingredients in a blender and add melted chocolate. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides of blender when necessary.
Preaheat oven to 350ºF.
Roll out your pie crust and fit it in a pie plate, and crimp the edges or do your thing with them.
Pour filling into crust and smooth out the top using an offset spatula or a rubber spatula. Bake pie for 60 minutes. To keep cracks from forming, put another pie plate fillled with water underneath your pie on the lower shelf of your oven. It's magic and stuff.
Make glaze by whisking powdered sugar, maple syrup and lemon juice together and slowly adding the kaluha. Drizzle over cooled pie and grate fresh nutmeg over the top if desired. Serve with coconut whipped cream! 





You Might Also Like

4 comments