Complimentary Colors: Basil & Tomato, Best Friends Forever

I had considered a number of options for meals that work well on the theme of complimentary colors. I was thinking at first only of the tra...

I had considered a number of options for meals that work well on the theme of complimentary colors. I was thinking at first only of the traditional three options: yellow & purple, blue & orange, and red & green, but you could get weird with it, and do a hot pink and lime green, or brick red and turquoise, or magenta and dandelion! I was going to make purple cauliflower with mac n cheese, and I probably still will, for fun, because it sounds so good. Then I remembered a great bowl of fro-yo I got with mango sorbet, which I topped with blueberries! I considered recreating that, but then I remembered tomato and basil. They make an appearance on my plate at least weekly together. Of the three, I decided that this is my favorite and the one I chose to showcase! 


Something about that acidy, tart, savory and yet sweet tomato sauce cries out for a burst of something fresh. Basil to the rescue! Either cut into tiny ribbons, or torn into little bits, it provides a beautiful fresh bite to the super-savory sauce. I think I actually have pictured here a combo of parsley and tomato, but more fresh and green stuff, more better, right?


I've never been one to turn away a lovely pile of green spinach when paired with a dreamy red tomato sauce either.


Maybe the champion dish for the tomato & basil combo is a marinara pizza. Nothing beats a freshly tossed dough with beautifully blistered basil. You can smell this pie from a mile away! It's hard to argue with a pizza that looks like this. What is your favorite color-combo when you're eating??

You Might Also Like

0 comments