Calling all Vegan Make-up Aficionado/as

As you know, over the last six months or so I have been getting back into using makeup again after a six-year hiatus. In those six years,...

As you know, over the last six months or so I have been getting back into using makeup again after a six-year hiatus. In those six years, a lot has changed. I went vegan, for one. I pay more attention to the products I use and the ingredients that are in them. I care a lot about supporting brands that are all vegan and cruelty-free. 

So I started doing some research about which brands are good and which brands are bad. I downloaded the leaping bunny app on my phone and signed up for a Vegan Cuts Beauty Box subscription. I did a lot of googling and looking up companies, even emailing some at times. But it wasn't until even a few months in that I learned that cruelty-free and vegan were different things.


What I learned is that there isn't a regulation on what "cruely-free" has to mean. There are apps like leaping bunny that sort of "certify" them, meaning they have provided some sort of answers to prove that they don't test their products on animals. But that's it. You still have to sift through unrecognizable ingredients on the backs of products to determine whether or not the ingredients are vegan, which I found kind of difficult because some of the ingredients on the "no" list are also available in a plant-based form, and you don't know which one is in the bottle unless it's specified or if you email the company, or maybe you just hadn't heard of one and missed it on the bottle, get it home and find out later that the product you've been using isn't vegan after all…


I picked up an urban decay palette because I read that all of their products are both vegan and cruelty-free, so I figured there is no way there could be anything wrong with this, right? Wrong. Turns out the company who owns Urban Decay, Lo'Real, their "parent company", tests on animals all the time. So if you buy from Urban Decay, you ultimately support a company that supports animal testing.

So okay, I guess urban decay is on the bad list now.


Then I got into watching makeup tutorials and videos from people like Rhian on WifeLife and Tashina on Logical Harmony. Rhian is great because she shows you all the products you could ever need, in any variety and shows you how they look, how they apply, and how well they wear, and they're all vegan. I found Logical Harmony through Rhian's blog and now I follow Tashina's site regularly! It's a full list of companies that are cruelty-free. There are a bunch of companies that are both 100% vegan and cruelty-free, but mostly companies that have vegan options…



Now I have seen and heard tons of hype about a few of these companies, for example LUSH, and Kat Von D, who are cruelty-free but not entirely vegan. So I kind of got thrown for a loop when I heard people saying how these companies are so great for having vegan options, but Urban Decay is no good even though it's entirely all vegan, but owned by a non-vegan parent company. 



What I tried to do was make each situation into a metaphor for eating at a restaurant. This is all just my brain working desperately to make sense of all this info so if you have other thoughts on my metaphors, please, please share!  I worked it out this way: Buying from Urban Decay is like eating at a 100% vegan cafe -- in the corner of a steakhouse. Buying from Kat Von D is like ordering something vegan from a non-vegan restaurant. 


I mean I've done both of those things. I order the kale salad and 4 beers when we go out for our company christmas party at a steakhouse every year. I order a vegan pizza at Bertuccis when I am visiting my family in my hometown. Does my money ultimately go to establishments that support animal cruelty? Yes. Is it better to buy from a chain restaurant like Bertuccis than from a Steakhouse, even if the food you order is vegan? I really don't have an answer for that question. It's great that companies decide not to test on live animals, but if you include dead animals in your finished products and then call them cruelty-free, you're pretty much lying to yourself. Is cruelty-free a misnomer? Should we only buy from 100% vegan companies? Should we support cruelty-free brands by buying only their vegan options? Is it okay to buy from a totally vegan and cruelty-free line if it's owned by a company that tests on animals? 


I am pretty unsure about all of it and would love to just hang out with a bunch of you who I'm sure have thought all of this through already. But since we can't all meet at Champs or just in my living room, maybe we can open a discussion here. I would love to hear all your thoughts and comments on why you do what you do in regards to vegan makeup.

So much love to all my vegan makeup-wearing friends,

xo KZ

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I agree that finding vegan cosmetics is really frustrating and complicated--hopefully as the demand goes up, it'll get easier.

    First off--I've never heard that UD is all vegan. I think that's not correct. Even before Loreal swallowed them up they had a specific page in their site dedicated to show wharves vegan.

    I consider makeup a luxury and food a necessity, so I don't think about them the same way. I never want to support a company that tests because it's completely unnecessary and revolts me. I try to buy makeup from vegan companies like ELF (they recently started selling all vegan), Pacifica, obsessive compulsive, etc. after that I'll buy from a completely CF company that has vegan options like Too Faced. I don't consider cosmetics free from animal ingredients vegan if they're sold by a company that tests. I'm typing on my phone in the dark, so I apologize if this seems choppy.

    xo
    Kittee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Thanks for letting me know about UD not being all vegan, I must have been misinformed! You are so right that food is a necessity and makeup is not. I just was trying to put it into terms that seemed relatable for me, on something I feel more confident in my stance on. It's always nice when you can talk things over with a friend whose opinions you highly respect so thanks so much Kittee!

      Delete
    2. You bet! Makeup and shoes make me cry in the vegan department. I think they're much harder to give up than cheese. :/

      My friend Sunny also has a great website called Vegan Beauty Review (http://www.veganbeautyreview.com/).

      I basically follow the folks who make the lists for a living, instead of trying to research on my own. Stuff changes too fast, and there's too much, and whenever I guess, I guess incorrectly. When you have to research parent companies and grandparent companies, etc. It gets complicated fast. But in the makeup department, when in doubt, I just don't purchase it. ELF is great though, 'cuz it's pretty easy to find and it's inexpensive. I also think it's hard to purchase lipstick and other makeup online, sight unseen.

      xo
      kittee

      Delete
    3. I also think of companies like Urban Decay as basically being L'Oreal. I don't think of them as an independent company. If they sell in China, I'm out...

      Delete
    4. Haha that's a great point about makeup being harder to give up than cheese! I will check out sunny's website today! Thanks for sharing it with me. Totally with you on following people who research that stuff for a living instead of trying to figure it out by yourself. I think I got mixed up about UD after a friend must have accidentally misled me on the brand being vegan, and seeing it on leaping bunny (which I NOW know doesn't mean vegan necessarily!) and sort of got stuck in my head. So glad you pointed that out to me! Yess that's another one about it being sold in China. The lists update all the time and brands enter and leave the list all the time so hearing something one time 2 years ago doesn't necessarily still mean it's still true now. It's all very complicated and hard to get a handle on, but I'm committed to figuring it all out because it's too important an issue to just gloss over. BTW how is the quality of ELF compares to others? I passed by their store this weekend and for some reason didn't go in and check it out. I think I'm hesitant because it's so cheap that I wonder about the quality. Thoughts are welcome :)

      Delete
    5. there's an elf store? i really like their liquid liner, which is pretty much all i buy. i only wear liner, mascara or lip color so i might not be the person to ask. the liner is great and it's cheap, so i feel ok chucking it every few months...

      Delete
    6. Yess I walked by it on Saturday! Good to know about their liquid liner, I'll give it a try soon.

      Delete
  2. Exactly as Kittee says, UD is not an exclusively vegan company. I've bought from them before, but only products labeled as "vegan" on their website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which is funny, because L'Oreal owns Urban Decay.

      Delete
    2. Yess thanks Em! I was totally wrong about that! What are some of your favorite 100% vegan companies for makeup?

      Delete
  3. Sal's Alien on Toast blog is REALLY helpful; she lists 'cruelty free' brands (and defines that) and then also indicates what is isn't vegan friendly and whether there are parent company issues (http://www.alienontoast.co.uk/p/animal-friendly-beauty-brands.html)

    That's a UK focused list but there's a US focused one here: http://veganmakeup.tumblr.com/post/21709326650/vegan-cruelty-free-cosmeticbeauty-brands-list

    For checking ingredients this database is handy: http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

    And this is a great post about vegan/cruelty free: http://www.logicalharmony.net/cruelty-free-vs-vegan/#axzz47g1KXlEy

    Under section 3 of this post that I wrote there's a whole bunch of info about beauty products/toiletries :) https://spiceboxofearth.co.uk/2016/01/05/top-10-practical-tips-for-very-easy-sustainable-and-inclusive-veganism-in-the-uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Thanks Jenny! I'm sure all of these will come in handy very soon <3

      Delete