Green Tea Zen Cake

In my cookbook that I will one day have, I will have a chapter called, "Cake For Breakfast." In that chapter, there will be cakes...

In my cookbook that I will one day have, I will have a chapter called, "Cake For Breakfast." In that chapter, there will be cakes that are acceptable as breakfast items by the civilized world. I mean we've all eaten cupcakes for breakfast at one point or another, but coffee cake sounds like a more civilized option. Tea-cake. Peach muffin. See? Cake is cake. To me, if it's covered in frosting, you just can't call it a breakfast-cake. Oh wait, I've definitely done that before.. 


The only cake plate I have is Christmas-themed.

This plate makes it looks more green.

I think I might try to de-glutenize this cake the next time I make it. I bet the crumby(not in a bad way) texture might be better for a breakfast cake. I will report back about that. It won't be crumby. Is the bad way spelled crummy? 

Green Tea Zen Cake:

1 1/4 cups plain soy or coconut yogurt
1 cup coconut sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon coconut extract
2 green tea bags steeped in 1 cup hot water
1 1/2 cups all-purpose unbleached flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons matcha tea powder

icing:
1 cup confectioners sugar
the juice and zest of a lemon
1-2 tablespoons coconut or almond milk

Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
Spray a fancy bunt cake pan or whatever pan you're using well with olive oil or canola oil spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut yogurt, sugar, canola oil, vanilla and coconut extracts. 
Using a sieve, sift in flour, coconut flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and matcha. Whisk to combine. Discard the tea bags and pour in 1 cup of the hot green tea. Whisk to combine and pour batter into prepared pan. Smooth out the top of the cake using the back of your spatula.
Bake for about 50 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the middle of your cake comes out clean.

Make the icing while the cake bakes by whisking together the powdered sugar and lemon stuffs. Add the coconut milk only if the icing looks thick. 

Once the cake is ready, remove it from the oven and let cool on the counter about 20 minutes. Now place a cutting board or cake platter over the top of the cake. Carefully, using oven mitts because the cake is still hot, put 1 hand on top of the cutting board and the other on the bottom of the cake pan. Now carefully but quickly flip. Give the cake a little shimmy to loosen it from the pan you sprayed so well. Cross your fingers and carefully lift the pan off the cake. Success! Now let it cool another 10 minutes before drizzling the icing all over it. Enjoy your zen-like state after eating your cake for breakfast.

You Might Also Like

0 comments