Irish Cookie Sandwiches

Cookie sandwiches are kind of amazing. Especially mini-cookie sandwiches. I think cookie sandwiches that are too big are just that...

Cookie sandwiches are kind of amazing. Especially mini-cookie sandwiches. I think cookie sandwiches that are too big are just that-- too big. They always leave me dizzy with a form of sugar-high that makes me want to eat nothing but steamed broccoli for the rest of my life. Teeny-tiny cookie bites are cute and easy to decide after only one if you want two or 22, a kind of select-a-size dessert.
So I was talking to my mom about my cupcake endeavors, and she informed me that cupcakes are in fact going out of style and I should try focusing on a different dessert vessel so that I can jump-start a new market. She suggested whoopie pies. I have never made a whoopie pie.



I tried a mixture of cookie batter and brownie batter, thinking that would give me the right consistency for a whoopie pie. That should do it, right? Wrong. I got chocolate cookies. Cookie sandwiches it is! I mean, that's what I meant to make. 


These are for some reason alcohol-free, but feel free to booze up the frosting with creme de menthe or any Irish whiskey. Any of your favorite liqueurs should do nicely. Just don't put like.. a wine cooler in there. That might be weird.


 I just got a Klean Kanteen today! It's amazing for many reasons. The first reason is that it is insulated, so that it doesn't sweat on the outside, making it good for bringing along in your bag. It keeps water cold for 24 hours, and hot for 6. You can buy it 3 sizes, I bought it in the largest, because, why not? You can spring for the cafe and loop-cap-combo, but I just bought the regular loop cap because thats what amazon had. P.S. you should buy one on amazon instead of the klean kanteen website because they charge you a minimum of $10 shipping. For one bottle. So I bought it on amazon for 5 dollars less and free shipping. Sorry. This thing is gonna last forever. And ever. And....


Also, I GOT A VITAMIX. Just in time for Smoothie Season!!





You're jealous. It's okay. You'll get one someday.


Irish Cookie Sandwiches

1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 cup pureed silken tofu
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 cup vegan cream cheese or earth balance
1/4 cup spectrum organic shortening
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon mint extract
1/2 teaspoon or 4 drops green food color

Preheat oven to 350ºF.
To make cookies, whisk together oil, pureed tofu, almond milk, vanilla and sugar. Sift or stir in cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix well and line 2 baking trays with parchment. Roll 1 tablespoon-sized balls out of the dough, wetting hands to prevent sticking, and place down on the cookie sheet, about 1 inch apart. These cookies don't spread too much. Push down a smidge on each cookie to flatten slightly, Bake for about 15 minutes or until cookies are slightly firm to the touch. Remove from oven and carefully move to wire racks to cool. 
Make icing by beating all ingredients in a stand mixer until light and fluffy. You can scoop this into a piping bag fitted with a circle tip to pie cute neat swirls onto the cookies, but a spoon works too. Once cookies are cool, line them up so that each cookie has a partner and flip one partner cookie upside down. Pipe 1 tablespoon of icing onto the upside down cookies. Now cover the icing with the partner cookie, pressing only slightly. You guys can figure out the concept of the cookie-pie-whoopie-sandwich right? 

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Those absolutely delicious. Whoopie pies are delicious, but then again, so are sandwich cookies. Chocolate and mint is such a great combination.

    By the way, that smoothie looks great. What's in it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The smoothie has some frozen fruit from whole foods, the acai berry and blueberry bag, some kale, spinach, pineapple, soy yogurt, and some vega vanilla smoothie powder.

      Delete