Playing Healthy

When people post pictures of food they make on instagram, it's usually healthy looking food that people are proud to show off that they...

When people post pictures of food they make on instagram, it's usually healthy looking food that people are proud to show off that they are eating. It works too. I always look at them and go, "That looks so healthy and tasty! I should eat healthy food!" --and then I make food that's not that healthy and it tastes good and all, but it's not like I'm gonna post it on instagram and hashtag it with "#healthyveganfood or anything. Today I knew I needed to make the produce I bought in Princeton last the better part of this week, because things aren't exactly looking up around these parts as far as the rest of my town and surrounding cities having power and gas. So I found myself with 2 large bunches of kale, 2 cutlets of seitan, and some black quinoa. Voila. Healthy food bowl is born. 


I have heard of and even seen red quinoa at the store and wanted to be adventurous and try it sometime soon, but stumbled across black quinoa in the bulk bins, and danced on the dangerous side and bought a few cups of it, you know, to live on the wild side, cut loose, spice things up.. etc.
So I had my suspicions about black grains. This may not or may be due to this time 5 years ago or something when I made wild rice and had the same silly ideas about getting amped to eat healthy food, thinking it was gonna be great with little effort or gameplan. And it was really just horrible. It took me about 4 more years to give even brown rice another shot after that. But now that brown rice and I are friends, I bought some black quinoa under the same delusions I once labored the day I made wild rice for the first time. I really love plain quinoa just as is, with some salt, pepper, olive oil and paprika or whatever. So I figured I would start the same way with the black quinoa. It has a funny smell that regular quinoa doesn't have and I tasted it first, pre-seasoning, and didn't like it at all. I threw in some onion, garic, red vinegar, and agave with a ton of salt and pepper, but it still wasn't great.
How do you make something that just isn't very good taste good? Guacamole of course.
Alongside is italian-y seitan with breadcrumbs and kale covered in garlicky creamy cashew sauce. I just realized that I get myself to eat healthy food by dousing it in stuff that's bad for me. Though if the worst things for me that I eat are guacamole and cashews, then I suppose I could be doing much, much worse.
That's my rationalization and Im sticking to it :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments