Mashed Potatoes: The Unremix

Mashed potatoes are sort of the best food ever. I've always been in love with mashed potatoes. I have to try pretty hard to remember ...


Mashed potatoes are sort of the best food ever. I've always been in love with mashed potatoes. I have to try pretty hard to remember how the mashed potatoes my dad used to make tasted, but I can kind of still remember, though it's been years since I've eaten them. They were great, anyways. However, they taste nothing like my go-to mash-up these days, which also tastes great. Mashed food is awesome. My mashed potatoes has evolved, as many of my favorite dishes have, over the past couple of years. I used to load them up with dairy stand-ins, like tofutti cream cheese and earth balance. And they were good. But sometimes you can't even taste the potato. And I like the way potatoes taste! This is a sort of straight-up vegetable mash recipe, but try it and tell me you don't get what I mean when I say they taste potato-y in a way that you'd never understand from eating mashed potatoes from a restaurant.


I'm sure everyone has heard about mashing cauliflower into your mashed potatoes. Has everybody tried it? I am all over that. What's killer is that cauliflower has the same cooking time as potatoes, so they can be boiled together, in the same pot. My ratio of potato to cauliflower has shifted from 3:1, to more like 1:1 now. Half potatoes and half cauliflower. I'm telling you, this is where it's at. You gotta believe me.
Some salt, pepper, a little olive oil, perhaps a tablespoon or 2 of unsweetened almond milk is all they'll ever need.

Unremixed Mashed Potatoes:


5-6 yukon gold potatoes, cut into quarters
1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsweetened almond milk
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon nooch

Place potatoes and cauliflower florets in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to boil and simmer for about 20 minutes, until both cauliflower and potatoes are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and transfer to a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachement (or just use a potato masher). Whip together until no large clumps are left, about 2 minutes. Now add almond milk, olive oil, salt, pepper and nooch. Taste for seasonings.







You Might Also Like

0 comments