The gift of pasta

I know I already told you that the first thing I learned how to cook was spaghetti. I used Rachel Ray's recipe for pasta sauce. Although...

I know I already told you that the first thing I learned how to cook was spaghetti. I used Rachel Ray's recipe for pasta sauce. Although now I may or may not consider that fact a skeleton in my closet, then, I thought it was the best pasta sauce I'd ever tasted, that hit all the right notes on the flavor scale. It was probably because I was so impressed with myself for making something that tasted okay, well-seasoned, not burnt, or didn't catch on fire.
My friend Trevor shares the same passion for a good pasta sauce, and always lets me know when it tastes right or what it's missing. He'll take a taste, think carefully, and deliberate, "..Good acid, good salt content, nice flavor profile... Missing that heat though..." I've cooked many meals for Trevor though fewer recently since so many miles separate us, but he was always my favorite fan and critic. 
One of the first few times Trevor came over for dinner, I made this meal. I called it 10-shallot pasta, which is exactly what it sounds like-- pasta with 10 sauteed shallots, olive oil, and parsley. It is incredibly easy to make and more importantly costs peanuts. I said, "This is what I make when we're poor." In response, my good friend Trevor said, "Don't ever get rich." 

This one's for you, Trev. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments